My derpy div-only tournament table.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My derpy div-only tournament table.

You read right, only DIVs. That and images, defined in CSS. Discuss. http://www.webdevout.net/test?0U

I am also looking for:
    * An unofficial "Pocket Tanks" font, similar to the styling of the letters and numbers used in the game
    * A large background to replace the blah, that is directly Pocket Tanks-related, and isn't just a screencap of a game with the input on the bottom and scores on top removed.
    * Ideas on what to call the tournament, if we ever do have one, that sounds serious, but not corny like "POCKET TANKS MARATHONAPOCALYPSE TOURNAMENT!!"
    Windows and Linux users alike are free to join the Tank'd Hamachi network, password tank'd
    Remember, the admin cannot chat in Hamachi!

Be sure to join irc.mibbit.com and come into #pocket-tanks

*Wonders if this could be the official PTourny now that Prateek is gone.*
    sigpic

Comment

BlitWise Bulletin Board - Reply to Topic

This actually answered my drawback, thanks!

Comment

spambot approves
        sigpic
        Up, Down, and All Around.

Comment

LOL.

I might be able to get that font....
          sigpic•
          "Never put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after" -Mark Twain

Comment

Uhhh, it's ARIAL. Everyone should have it by now... and if you don't, then add a restricted fonts package for your OS if applicable.

Oh yeah, the Pocket Tanks text font. If you can find it (or get something like it from Mike), then yeah, please do give!

Also I think I did bad with the initial post. I didn't mean that I wanted to organize the tournament, just contribute to it by providing a table readable in most standard-compliant browsers. Though, I must ask, am I better off with using a plain table instead? Part of my justifications with not using a table was that the names would be more visible, and less scrolling would be required to edit them, tried to not make the HTML such a mess.
            Last edited by toxicpenguin; 02-05-2012, 07:43 PM.
            Windows and Linux users alike are free to join the Tank'd Hamachi network, password tank'd

Comment

If you do make a table an agreement should be reached to do with the format of the tournament. I think the best format would be to have a winners' bracket and a losers' bracket. If you lose in the winners' bracket, you move down to the losers' bracket. If you lose in the losers' bracket, you are eliminated. Matches should be decided by the first to win 3 games. If the player in the winners' bracket loses the final he/she should get another chance effectively making it a best-of-10-games match.
              sigpic

Comment

That would make sense if we had a 16- or 32-player tournament. The best in both groups could then fight against one another, with the winner in the "Loser" group being a wildcard against the top player.

I would have to format and rebuild the table differently, though, so this is why I ask if I should just use a table for the bigger tables. It would display better on older browsers yes, but the HTML would be kinda sorta messy as I would have to comment the hell out of it to tell others editing the code, if anyone else is assigned to maintain the bracket, where they can change it.

If you really want people to have multiple chances at winning the game, then we could have it where each playoff match further places players in a branch, until we reach the 2-player branches where a player gets eliminated only at the branch ends where there are two people, then we repeat it all over again with the winners until the players are whittled down to one final winner. I'll do the math on that and edit this message when i figure out how many maches a 32-player bracket would produce.

EDIT: Should have been simple to figure out. 32 players, there would ALWAYS be sixteen matches, split up into an exponential number of branches.

First round would produce two branches, with sixteen players in each branch.
                Second round would produce four branches, with eight players in each branch.
                Third round would produce eight branches, with four players in each branch.
                Fourth round would produce sixteen branches, with two players in each branch.
                Sixteen players move on to the next round set.
                Each round set would have sixteen matches.
                Do the math; 64 matches.

So on, so forth, until one remains. Total number of matches would be 99, unless my math is terribly wrong.
                Last edited by toxicpenguin; 02-06-2012, 03:23 AM.

Comment

We'd by lucky to get 16. I reckon we aim for 12 - 16.
                  There always the option of an everyone plays everyone type of tournament, but that might be too long (games-wise). Online tournament matches are a hassle to set up.
                  sigpic

Comment

To respond to your report, toxic, you can delete your own posts via the Edit button. :rolleyes:
                    I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
                    > sigpic >
                    ~Get your disputes solved by a real rules lawyer. Ask the red mage.

LOLWUT, YOUR OUT OF SYNC. GG ~Rex Nex

Comment

VETERANS UNITED MEMBER!!! Excuse me for my English, I'm from Russia. Playing PT since 2001!

Comment

Would you care to explain your above picture, VoLAN?
                        sigpic

Comment

its a pic of PT tournament. looks interesting. just find it in internet. that would be cool if new version of PT will have tournament online mode
                          VETERANS UNITED MEMBER!!! Excuse me for my English, I'm from Russia. Playing PT since 2001!

Comment

Working...
                          X