Error in Super Star Randomness?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error in Super Star Randomness?

Why is it that whenever I face a computer and select random in the weapon shop, if a Super Star is a present weapon, it ALWAYS goes to the first slot in my box? Is there some sort of programming error here, or is there something much much worse behind this? (Like maybe a tarantula in my PT folder somewhere...) Probably not, but still, interesting (not the tarantula). Does this happen to anyone else?

Most of the time, on random, the superstar goes to me on the very first pick, but sometimes it is my opponent.
    Either way, it is always the first item on the list...
    sigpic
    "Do you know what kind of hat I'm wearing? It's a party hat; you don't get one." - Tycho, Marathon Infinity
    My Website of Miscellany
    V.U. Member.

Comment

I don't really care for Super Star, I mean its only good when there is a fair amount of ground below the opponent. And I never noticed that it always went to the top when you hit random :rolleyes:
      Math Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
      Reading Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
      Computer Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Comment

I've addressed this problem before. The answer is that the game obviously doesn't implement the rand() function when the "random" button is pressed. Rather, it picks according to the computer's weapons preferences. This is both good and bad...

Good: it prevents stacking, weapons will always be fairly well distributed
        Bad: it's not truly random

Comment

Originally posted by Xap View Post
          Most of the time, on random, the superstar goes to me on the very first pick, but sometimes it is my opponent.
          Either way, it is always the first item on the list...
          Nope! Island is ALWAYS the first one to go!
          Zwaken's Signature. Enjoy.

Comment

Really? I never really noticed the Island one.

Comment

What is the point of island? The only thing I find it useful for is hitting the other tank slightly off so they can't shoot at an angle toward you.
              Math Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
              Reading Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
              Computer Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Comment

my only logic behind island is, you can shoot it at yourself and dodge some bouncy's and some water wpns, other than that, you can hit the enemy tank in such a way that it falls into the pit with the island blocking it's shot much like a giant hunk of flak, other than that, i got nothing lol

Comment

Originally posted by Slater View Post
                  I've addressed this problem before. The answer is that the game obviously doesn't implement the rand() function when the "random" button is pressed. Rather, it picks according to the computer's weapons preferences. This is both good and bad...

Good: it prevents stacking, weapons will always be fairly well distributed
                  Bad: it's not truly random
                  Yeah, I think that the name should be changed to "Autopick" or something instead of "Random", because the current name is a little misleading. I don't believe that it's a bug or anything though... It's just a way that you can quick start a game while, as Slater said, making sure that the weapons will be fairly evenly distributed.

Comment

Originally posted by Was It Me? View Post
                    Yeah, I think that the name should be changed to "Autopick" or something instead of "Random", because the current name is a little misleading.
                    Yes, autopick does sound better.
                    sigpic
                    "Do you know what kind of hat I'm wearing? It's a party hat; you don't get one." - Tycho, Marathon Infinity
                    My Website of Miscellany
                    V.U. Member.

Comment

well i've noticed the super star thing alot but i have to say i've never seen island get picked first...other than that I have to say a completely random selection would suck...it would make the game much dependent on who got what weapons rather than you being able to outsmart the computer. I think the only problem with the current selection process is the computer picks some dumb weapons.

Comment

Re: Error in Super Star Randomness?

If the geology works, I use island and scoot under it before I shoot the solar flare

Comment

I think Island is great to clear away just enough dirt so that you can shoot.
                          Play as "tgh" Live as Todd

Comment

Working...
                          X