This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian
    started a topic So What is this Online Stuff?

So What is this Online Stuff?

I've put this off til we were ready, but things MAY still change. Caveat emptor!

It is getting very close to our goal of releasing a Pocket Tanks Online update, and the product is more or less final. So I'd like to use this post to point people towards answers to their questions.

What does Pocket Tanks Online do? It does a number of things. But primarily, it allows you to play Pocket Tanks with people on other devices, even in other locations.

This update will introduce two new play options.

First, is the Local WiFi option. This allows you to play a classic game of Pocket Tanks with someone on another iOS device on the same local wireless network. It is real time, and you see the actions your opponent takes as he takes them, just as you would if you used a 2 player pass and play mode now.

Second is the Online Asynchronous (Turn based) play. This is a bit more complicated. You can add people to your friends list, and invite them to games, as well as accept invitations. In addition, there is a Random Opponent options, which will put you in a list to start a game with anyone else who is seeking a quick, Random match. You will then be taken to the Weapon Shop, as usual. Here is where it gets interesting. You will be presented with a list of 20 weapons from the ones you have available, as usual. But after you pick a weapon, the game will take one, as if you were playing the CPU. That weapon is gone now. The process continues til you have all 10 weapons, and then you go to the match. The game plays in the same way you are used to, until you fire your weapon. Then it sends your turn to your opponent, and opens up options for you to replay the match so far, take and share a screenshot, or go back to the game list to find another opponent. When your opponent takes his turn, you'll get a push notifying you. If you're waiting for it in the match, it will update automatically, showing you his shot. At the end of the match, it will show the score, the winner, what weapon hit you the hardest, and give you options to play a rematch with the other player, or add him to your friends list.

How much does it cost?
    It is free, currently, to all Pocket Tanks Deluxe owners. We'd like to keep it that way, but we aren't promising it. This could get expensive fast.

What about the free version? Can they play online?
    No. This is a Deluxe only feature. We think it adds great value to the Deluxe purchase, and encourages you to make the leap to being a paying customer!

What if I have weapons my friend doesn't have?
    This works differently in WiFi and Async. In the WiFi game, both players use the weapons and options available to the Inviter. In Async, the weapons are drawn independently, and each player can use all the weapons he has installed (and not deactivated), but all other options are forced to default. So you can play with your weapons, and he can play with his. And maybe at the end of the match, he'll see a weapon he hasn't purchased yet. Maybe he'd like to. We make that easy for him. We certainly wouldn't mind.
    NB: Both online modes do require that you draw from a list of at least 30 activated weapons. So if you shut off everything but Mega-Nuke or Wildfire, the game will warn you that it will add the weapons to your list until 30 have been reached, from the top of the available weapons. No trying to game the system!

How does the Random option work?
    If you want to get a quick game going, you can start a random game. This will pair you up with someone else seeking such a game, and automatically select 10 weapons for you from ALL your installed weapon packs, ignoring your activated/deactivated weapons. The name of the game here is getting you playing quickly. However, don't worry about getting random invites from strangers this way. You will only get a match if YOU select to be put in the queue for one.

Does this use GameCenter?
    No, not yet. Our ultimate plan is to have people able to play with their friends regardless of whether you have an iPhone or a Kindle or a Samsung Galaxy. We would like to add GameCenter as an option if time allows, because it is a great feature, and makes things pretty easy for iOS customers. But it isn't in this first release.

So what about Android?
    Yeah, we're working on it. It took us a long time to get this far, but we hope much of the work can be easily ported to other platforms.

How about leaderboards/achievements/tournaments/hats?
    Yes, we're thinking about all of that. This release is purely about the function. We want to give you everything you expect from an online game, but why make you wait til all that is done to play it? Except hats. Well, maybe hats? Do you want hats? How much would you pay for hats?

Does the local play include Bluetooth?
    No. We talked about it. We blogged about it. Mike Austin worked his fingers to the bone trying to make it happen. But it didn't. We'd still like to include a device-to-device feature, but there are tough decisions to be made there. Stay tuned.

Do you have other questions? Let us know. We'll try to answer them.
    Last edited by Brian; 11-20-2013, 10:56 PM.

• ASCSCws
    replied
    Re: So What is this Online Stuff?

Yeah, i have even created my casesam.co.uk online account ..
    Last edited by ASCSCws; 11-04-2015, 10:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyMac
    replied

Originally posted by thanatos View Post
    I have loved this game since having my friends over to play for hours on my old Amiga 1200. I miss the shields that forced players to aim around or at weird angles to penetrate. But right now I'm a little concerned that there *might* be a cheat in play in online. I've been playing someone for a week now, and I won most of the first few matches, and then suddenly their weapons seemed to take a noticeable turn for the ... shall I say "suspiciously lucky" mode. In the last 9 matches the other player has consistently had: torpedo (in one case multiples), liquid nitrogen, mega reaction, sonic blaster or meganuke, ant farm, and napalm. I can see torpedo maybe once every 2-3, but ... torpedo, ant farm (or big dirtball), mega reaction, and napalm (or liquid nitrogen) have all been hitting me in EVERY match. The odds of that seem a bit implausible, considering that to fill out that ordinance loadout they would have to have double that many power options that disappear during selection. Maybe even 3-4, but 9? In a row?
    Anyhoo, am I missing something or is there a way to have multiplayer with wind, variable terrain, etc.?
    Hi thanatos,
    You are apparently playing a stacker. It's not necessarily a cheat, its just that some folks prefer to play with only certain (generally high power) weapons enabled (called, among other things, "stacking") and this would definitely give them an advantage over someone who does not stack. I play with all weapons and generally will play a game or two with someone until I realize that they are stacking and I simply don't play with them anymore. Like I said, it's not cheating unless a person is being sneaky about it. There are quite a few folks out there that enjoy only playing stacked vs stacked and are up front about it. Good luck!
    JohnnyMac

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I have loved this game since having my friends over to play for hours on my old Amiga 1200. I miss the shields that forced players to aim around or at weird angles to penetrate. But right now I'm a little concerned that there *might* be a cheat in play in online. I've been playing someone for a week now, and I won most of the first few matches, and then suddenly their weapons seemed to take a noticeable turn for the ... shall I say "suspiciously lucky" mode. In the last 9 matches the other player has consistently had: torpedo (in one case multiples), liquid nitrogen, mega reaction, sonic blaster or meganuke, ant farm, and napalm. I can see torpedo maybe once every 2-3, but ... torpedo, ant farm (or big dirtball), mega reaction, and napalm (or liquid nitrogen) have all been hitting me in EVERY match. The odds of that seem a bit implausible, considering that to fill out that ordinance loadout they would have to have double that many power options that disappear during selection. Maybe even 3-4, but 9? In a row?
    Anyhoo, am I missing something or is there a way to have multiplayer with wind, variable terrain, etc.?

Leave a comment:

• ChallengeSpaceYard
    replied

I registered ChallengeSY for my Blitwise account.

Edit: Oh right. I forgot to disclose that I currently only have access to shareware weapons. Another reason I look forward to this being integrated into the PC.
    Last edited by ChallengeSpaceYard; 06-04-2014, 12:49 AM. Reason: More info

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyMac
    replied

Originally posted by ChallengeSpaceYard View Post
    I just gave the online play a go on my Android 2.3 and it is a blast! Also a great way to dust some rust off while I have an easy start against my first opponents.
    Hello,
    I searched for ChallengespaceYard and didn't find anyone. What's your username? I'll let you beat up on me for a bit until you dust your "rust" off.... :-)

JohnnyMac

Leave a comment:

• ChallengeSpaceYard
    replied

I just gave the online play a go on my Android 2.3 and it is a blast! Also a great way to dust some rust off while I have an easy start against my first opponents.
    Last edited by ChallengeSpaceYard; 06-03-2014, 09:37 PM. Reason: Simplify post

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyMac
    replied

That's part of the fun.... :-) I love it when I have crap weapons and end up beating a guy that is set up with good ones. Doesn't happen often, but if I lose, I just challenge them again and hopefully I get the good ones the next time! Good luck!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I am SO glad to have online play. I've been playing versions of this since the 90s on my Amiga 500. HOWEVER... is there not some way to classify the weapons so that both opponents in random matchups have something at least roughly equivalent in damage/burying/tunneling ability? I just got a match against someone and out of my "weapons" I got showdown, super funnel, island, bouncy dirt, gyro glue, hedge, and snowdrift? The weapons I got were explode-a-tron and color bomb, and mass driver (which isn't so much a weapon as russian roullette)... Needless to say, I am not winning this one. The other guy got guided missiles and heavy ordinance.

Leave a comment:

• VoLAN
    replied

Execuse me ! I'm was busy!

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyMac
    replied

Originally posted by VoLAN View Post
    JohnnyMac, Try to beat:
    VoLAN
    VoLAN, I'm giving it a go, but 2 days, 12 hours and 25 minutes still waiting for your next shot......

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyMac
    replied

Originally posted by Metallian View Post
    You'll have to beat me more than once to find out...

I'm not on your reliable list, JohnnyMac? I'm hurt.

In addition to JohnnyMac, i've found epster and cavcor to be very responsive. Quick back and forth games.
    You're on my reliable list Metallian. Your name was mentioned above so I figured it was a given.... No worries brah...

Leave a comment:

• Metallian
    replied

Originally posted by Redrum619 View Post
    is he actually finishing the games now?, or still forfeiting once he starts losing..
    You'll have to beat me more than once to find out...

I'm not on your reliable list, JohnnyMac? I'm hurt.

In addition to JohnnyMac, i've found epster and cavcor to be very responsive. Quick back and forth games.
    Last edited by Metallian; 02-02-2014, 12:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• VoLAN
    replied

JohnnyMac, Try to beat:
    VoLAN

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

I had a few really good opponents. But right now I'm on the test server (Secret hush hush project), so I can't play much with live folks without getting all confused about which installs are which.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X