This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So What is this Online Stuff?

I've put this off til we were ready, but things MAY still change. Caveat emptor!

It is getting very close to our goal of releasing a Pocket Tanks Online update, and the product is more or less final. So I'd like to use this post to point people towards answers to their questions.

What does Pocket Tanks Online do? It does a number of things. But primarily, it allows you to play Pocket Tanks with people on other devices, even in other locations.

This update will introduce two new play options.

First, is the Local WiFi option. This allows you to play a classic game of Pocket Tanks with someone on another iOS device on the same local wireless network. It is real time, and you see the actions your opponent takes as he takes them, just as you would if you used a 2 player pass and play mode now.

Second is the Online Asynchronous (Turn based) play. This is a bit more complicated. You can add people to your friends list, and invite them to games, as well as accept invitations. In addition, there is a Random Opponent options, which will put you in a list to start a game with anyone else who is seeking a quick, Random match. You will then be taken to the Weapon Shop, as usual. Here is where it gets interesting. You will be presented with a list of 20 weapons from the ones you have available, as usual. But after you pick a weapon, the game will take one, as if you were playing the CPU. That weapon is gone now. The process continues til you have all 10 weapons, and then you go to the match. The game plays in the same way you are used to, until you fire your weapon. Then it sends your turn to your opponent, and opens up options for you to replay the match so far, take and share a screenshot, or go back to the game list to find another opponent. When your opponent takes his turn, you'll get a push notifying you. If you're waiting for it in the match, it will update automatically, showing you his shot. At the end of the match, it will show the score, the winner, what weapon hit you the hardest, and give you options to play a rematch with the other player, or add him to your friends list.

How much does it cost?
    It is free, currently, to all Pocket Tanks Deluxe owners. We'd like to keep it that way, but we aren't promising it. This could get expensive fast.

What about the free version? Can they play online?
    No. This is a Deluxe only feature. We think it adds great value to the Deluxe purchase, and encourages you to make the leap to being a paying customer!

What if I have weapons my friend doesn't have?
    This works differently in WiFi and Async. In the WiFi game, both players use the weapons and options available to the Inviter. In Async, the weapons are drawn independently, and each player can use all the weapons he has installed (and not deactivated), but all other options are forced to default. So you can play with your weapons, and he can play with his. And maybe at the end of the match, he'll see a weapon he hasn't purchased yet. Maybe he'd like to. We make that easy for him. We certainly wouldn't mind.
    NB: Both online modes do require that you draw from a list of at least 30 activated weapons. So if you shut off everything but Mega-Nuke or Wildfire, the game will warn you that it will add the weapons to your list until 30 have been reached, from the top of the available weapons. No trying to game the system!

How does the Random option work?
    If you want to get a quick game going, you can start a random game. This will pair you up with someone else seeking such a game, and automatically select 10 weapons for you from ALL your installed weapon packs, ignoring your activated/deactivated weapons. The name of the game here is getting you playing quickly. However, don't worry about getting random invites from strangers this way. You will only get a match if YOU select to be put in the queue for one.

Does this use GameCenter?
    No, not yet. Our ultimate plan is to have people able to play with their friends regardless of whether you have an iPhone or a Kindle or a Samsung Galaxy. We would like to add GameCenter as an option if time allows, because it is a great feature, and makes things pretty easy for iOS customers. But it isn't in this first release.

So what about Android?
    Yeah, we're working on it. It took us a long time to get this far, but we hope much of the work can be easily ported to other platforms.

How about leaderboards/achievements/tournaments/hats?
    Yes, we're thinking about all of that. This release is purely about the function. We want to give you everything you expect from an online game, but why make you wait til all that is done to play it? Except hats. Well, maybe hats? Do you want hats? How much would you pay for hats?

Does the local play include Bluetooth?
    No. We talked about it. We blogged about it. Mike Austin worked his fingers to the bone trying to make it happen. But it didn't. We'd still like to include a device-to-device feature, but there are tough decisions to be made there. Stay tuned.

Do you have other questions? Let us know. We'll try to answer them.
    Last edited by Brian; 11-20-2013, 10:56 PM.
    Quid custodit ipsos custodes
    -Juventus

My Administrative motto

Wielder of a +1 Vorpal Sword of Banning.

Re: So What is this Online Stuff?

It's a really BIG update for PT! Cool stuff!!! I Have some questions of course :

1)So what about PC? I don't PC geek or something like that, just interesting. PT will be cross platform only between iOS and android? or PC users will be able to play cross platform in future too?

2)How many assynchronous games I can play at once? Maximum

3)How many friends I can add maximum?

4)Will be there ingame simple chat like in LAN game on PC?

5)indelicate question: will you release new weapon packs, which about you blogged some month ago, with that online mega update?

6) How would be chosen terrain type? It's random? I like random
    Last edited by VoLAN; 11-20-2013, 07:16 PM.
    VETERANS UNITED MEMBER!!! Excuse me for my English, I'm from Russia. Playing PT since 2001!

Comment

Will there be round limits to allow bigger gameplay; For example you must win 3 rounds in order to win the game?

Can online game settings be changed for custom matches?

In other words, looking forward for the update *gives applause*
      Last edited by QuakeMan8782; 11-20-2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VoLAN View Post
        It's a really BIG update for PT! Cool stuff!!! I Have some questions of course :

1)So what about PC? I don't PC geek or something like that, just interesting. PT will be cross platform only between iOS and android? or PC users will be able to play cross platform in future too?
        The plan is for all platforms to be able to play against one another. That may be overly ambitious, technically impossible, or just too expensive, but is our goal.

2)How many assynchronous games I can play at once? Maximum

3)How many friends I can add maximum?
        I don't believe we set a maximum, or if it is, it is quite large.

4)Will be there ingame simple chat like in LAN game on PC?
        No.

5)indelicate question: will you release new weapon packs, which about you blogged some month ago, with that online mega update?
        Nothing wrong with the question. We will not be releasing new weapons with the update, but we hope to as soon as possible after it.

6) How would be chosen terrain type? It's random? I like random
        For WiFi, the inviter's set game options are used. For Online, all non-weapon options are set to default. In this case, Hill.

Originally posted by QuakeMan8782 View Post
        Will there be round limits to allow bigger gameplay; For example you must win 3 rounds in order to win the game?
        The basic game remains the same, so each match is 10 volleys, and each match is discreet from all other matches played either against the same opponent or different ones.

Can online game settings be changed for custom matches?
        Not in this update. Probably in later ones, but it's a question of what we should spend our time on.
        Quid custodit ipsos custodes
        -Juventus

My Administrative motto

Wielder of a +1 Vorpal Sword of Banning.

Comment

such achievement.

very tank.

wow.

Comment

Code:
            such world     many friends
                              wow 
                   very play           wow
              wow     
                                so network
            sigpic
            Up, Down, and All Around.

Comment

Got the update for online game play for the iPhone, works great so far, i've even created my online account ..

Heres a few pics ..

Last edited by User; 12-03-2013, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Congratulations !!!! Pocket tanks 2.0 is out!!!! YAHOOOO!!! I can't stop playing!!!

VETERANS UNITED MEMBER!!! Excuse me for my English, I'm from Russia. Playing PT since 2001!

Comment

>Our ultimate plan is to have people able to play with their friends regardless of whether you have an iPhone or a Kindle or a Samsung Galaxy.

Comment

I found a discrepancy in the score mapping! In menu displayed by 0-0, and the game score is 0:10 !
                    image.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

Online gameplay suggestion...

I feel like the new online option it has one major drawback; it takes entirely too long to complete a game. Because part of the strategy is remembering how previous shots effected the tank and/or player, it's tough when only a couple moves a day are performed and multiple games are being played at once. Now this is probably due to the online element being so new and the possibility of a limited number of players. So my suggestion would be to add a different version to the online gameplay. A version which allows players to compete for total points earned playing the computer given the exact same scenario; same weapon choices and same terrain. And players could complete a whole game, without being totally dependent on another player, and the points would be submitted. You could give the option to play a single game, best out of three or best out of five, etc. Maybe even set up tournaments. So the end result could be determined by the total number of points earned during a set number of games or just have the points count towards that one particular battle/game as a win and play for most wins earned.

Just a thought...

Comment

I think it's impossible ...

Comment

First off....Focking Awesome! I love it! I have played this incessantly against the computer for quite a while and now love the online version. I am even more addicted. My wife is not happy with you guys! :-) So, a quick question. Is there anyplace that scores wins/losses? I ask only because I sometimes get ahead on points when playing someone online and they just quit playing. I end up forfeiting even though I'm way ahead on points. Another game I play gives you the option (after 24 hours) to poke someone and remind them of the game, than after another 24 hours, you can claim victory. Any ideas on something like in a future update? Not that I'm complaining about what I got now. Did I mention it's focking awesome! Thanks!

JohnnyMac
                          Last edited by JohnnyMac; 12-17-2013, 08:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to subscribe to this thread.....

Comment

BlitWise, Why you don't updated your official web site www.blitwise.com? There is two new versions is out! 2.0 for iOS and 1.92 for Android! People should know about it

Comment

Deluxe was a soft release to iOS. The update to the Free version was just released today to the App store, we will be updating the website in the next day or two.
                              Nate
                              www.blitwise.com

Comment

Working...
                              X