Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW TO: Installing Deluxe and/or Expansions.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I just went to this thread thinking there was a big issue with installing the game because there were so many posts, but like always.
    Math Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    Reading Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    Computer Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Comment

Hi all,
      Just trying to feed my Pocket Tanks addiction by buying the thing (I've been on the iPod version all day every day since launch). When I get to the money page section, it won't let me change to Euro's or Pounds! Just stays on Dollars, even when I press 'Update'.
      :confused:
      Anyone out there had that problem too?

Comment

Late response

Hmm. I don't have this problem.
        Have you tried again since?
        I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
        > sigpic >
        ~Get your disputes solved by a real rules lawyer. Ask the red mage.

LOLWUT, YOUR OUT OF SYNC. GG ~Rex Nex

Comment

Please help me

I may be getting a new computer in the near future and i was wondering if i could move the game from this one to a new one if i can even get it on the other one? soooo... please respond or ask someone who knows

Comment

E-mail tech support with the e-mail in which you purchased it, as well as any expansions.

Or you could just move the entire Pocket Tanks folder over to the other comp.
            > sigpic >

Comment

PTanks (with all expansions) can easily fit on a USB and transffered to another computer.
              sigpic
              Up, Down, and All Around.

Comment

ok..

i went into my computer and into games and copied pockettanks and pockettanks delux onto a flash usb thingy and then when i tried to put it onto my other pc it didnt work. i downloaded the free verson onto my new comp but dont want to pay for the game again am i doing something wrong??:cool::confused:

Comment

You have tell us what about it didn't work. Just saying "it didn't work" means nothing.

To be honest, you could have had this problem solved weeks ago by just e-mailing tech support with the e-mail you used to purchase.
                  > sigpic >

Comment

How to use a weapon pack on pocket tanks?

i need to use a weapon pack on pocket tanks but I can't figure out how to?

Comment

See this.

If you're having problems:

Originally posted by ChallengeSpaceYard's "Mini-Blitwise FAQ" in General Talk View Post
                      Question: Why can't I use the Expansion Packs?
                      CSY: You must have the Deluxe version to use expansion packs. If you do have it, make sure they are in the same installation path. No shareware editions support expansion packs, as they were meant as a way to expand upon deluxe owners who aren't getting enough of the deluxe edition. You must purchase deluxe to use expansions.
                      CSY: It is worth noting that Mac OS X users who have more than one installed copy of Pocket Tanks Deluxe (or the Collector's Edition) may encounter problems using expansion packs because they get installed into the wrong Pocket Tanks directory. The best way to fix this problem is uninstall all copies of Pocket Tanks Deluxe, and then reinstall only one copy of Pocket Tanks Deluxe.
                      Also moved to Game Talk merged with ekoz's installation guide.

(Yes, I realize the period as a signature probably means it's a spambot, but whatever. Answering can only be a good thing.)
                      Last edited by Samail; 11-23-2010, 02:29 PM. Reason: Merger [11-09-2010 at 12:16 AM]. | Sig.
                      > sigpic >

Comment

Supplimental for Linux users

All of ekoz's instructions are great, but for Linux users, they won't be able to fully enjoy the game, let alone at all if they do not do the following. Ubuntu/Debian commands are used, modify for Fedora, BSD, etc.

Instructions were done using Ubuntu 11.10 (2010), under another name I posted instructions in the Hamachi thread. Now for the good stuff. Open a terminal and copy everything in the code sections"

Installing Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator)
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install wine && winecfg
                        That will install wine, then post-install, open the Wine configuration menu. Currently, Wine 1.3.33 auto-picks the sound driver, which in the case of Ubuntu, unless otherwise, would be winealsa.drv. It should work out of the box, but if it doesn't, pick your preferred audio device.

Newer builds of Wine also work better with PulseAudio, so there should be no reason why anyone using PulseAudio as their sound proxy would experience any problems.

Windows compatibility with different versions of Windows
                        If you end up needing to use different bottles for different settings (For example, an old game that runs better when Wine functions as Windows 98 over XP/Vista/etc.), then Wibom is the best thing going. In a terminal (Now with 100% less stupidity):
                        Code:
                        wget http://archive.getdeb.net/install_deb/getdeb-repository_0.1-1~getdeb1_all.deb && gksu /usr/bin/software-center ~/getdeb-repository_0.1-1~getdeb1_all.deb && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wibom-gtk && wibom-gtk
                        Wibom (Wine Bottle Management) is easily available from the getdeb repository, and by installing it from a repo, you'll receive updates when applicable. Take caution trusting bottles though; Certain instances, using bottles may not properly work in all instances right away, and require some file-shuffling in order to get stuff to work right, as I've explained in My personal experience below.

Wibom doesn't want to work anymore as a frontend to manage separate Wine prefixes. If you absolutely need a frontend that works, the Qt-powered Slotted Wine frontend is a good substitute. Not entirely a drop-in replacement if you were vested with "Bottles" from Wibom before, but for people reading this the first time, Swine works pretty well for what you need it to do. You can still specify different "Slots" to different versions of Windows for compatibility, and generally do as the above, albeit with a different UI.

To install:
                        Code:
                        wget http://dswd.github.com/Swine/repository/key.gpg; sudo apt-key add key.gpg && sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://dswd.github.com/Swine/repository/deb stable main' && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install swine
                        Significance of using a separate wine prefix, and installing outside of ~/.wine

(~ = Home directory, or /$HOME, /home/$HOME)

When Pocket Tanks is installed using ekoz's guide for installation in Linux with the Wine Windows Program Loader, everything will install into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files, which is what will be recognized by the installer as C:/Program Files. At least in Ubuntu, /drive_c/Users/$USER/My Documents will redirect to /$HOME, which means on boot, files made by the game (like contents of the My Games folder for instance) will be in /$HOME.

There is no excuse for misinformation. I was wrong here, move on. When put into a bottle, none of this behavior is exhibited. Wibom by default stores bottles in ~/.local/share/bottles, but this can be changed very easily by picking the directory where the bottle goes. This means when in a bottle, all these guides for Windows will be more easy to follow, as after /drive_c, the folder structure, and where new files are put is more true to Windows.

Word of warning from My experience
                        Not sure if it was My stupidity or if it was wibom. This information is somewhat relevant, and if LAN Game in a bottle becomes an issue, follow along with it. The files wibom-gtk creates seems to not allow for LAN game in Pocket Tanks at all. Even when the bottle was set to Windows 2000 in winecfg via wibom-gtk, it failed to work until I made a fresh ~/.wine by deleting it and running winecfg, then copied the contents in /.wine to /$BOTTLE. More work than necessary, but Pocket Tanks stopped complaining about version deficit after I did that.

EDIT: Recent testing
                        This has worked for a LAN game. Game functions well and LAN functionality between a Linux machine and a Windows machine was stellar, and better than expected. I'll update this page for when testing is complete later on, when I test what happens between two networks.

EDIT: IT LIVES!
                        Confirmed, a person on Linux like Me can play with someone on a Windows machine. Self-tested, sure, but I was on two different wireless networks, the host machine was on mine, and the client machine, my father's, was on another that happened to be nearby. Before you ask, it was a poor connection that was NOT mine at all and NOT a guest connection from My router, but Windows got it just fine. The Windows machine, connected to the Hamachi network on a Linux distribution, was able to join a game hosted on a Linux system, and play as it would normally.

So yes, it works. Wine does a pretty good job of faking Windows stuff, permitting the game to play and function as it always had, and Hamachi works just as brilliantly in Linux. Have fun playing around with it, I know it was fun for me.

EDIT: One last edit
                        Before anyone asks about Hamachi, no, the Windows version and Windows UI cannot be installed with Wine, nor can it be used in Wine. But Hamachi for Linux does exist (to be absolutely clear) and the Haguichi GUI is available as a package. To install, copypaste the following:
                        Hamachi install
                        32-bit / i386 / x86
                        Code:
                        wget https://secure.logmein.com/labs/logmein-hamachi_2.1.0.139-1_i386.deb && gksu /usr/bin/software-center ~/logmein-hamachi_2.1.0.139-1_i386.deb
                        64-bit / AMD64 / x86_64
                        Code:
                        wget https://secure.logmein.com/labs/logmein-hamachi_2.1.0.139-1_amd64.deb && gksu /usr/bin/software-center ~/logmein-hamachi_2.1.0.139-1_amd64.deb
                        GUI
                        Code:
                        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/haguichi && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install haguichi && haguichi
                        (For those of the Debian crowd reading this, I could have used dpkg, but most people can get away with using the wget command, then going to /$HOME and open the .deb file in their installer of choice.)

If this recent update has broken links, PM me!
                        Last edited by toxicpenguin; 06-29-2015, 02:15 AM. Reason: It's 2015. Things had changed.
                        Windows and Linux users alike are free to join the Tank'd Hamachi network, password tank'd
                        Remember, the admin cannot chat in Hamachi!

Be sure to join irc.mibbit.com and come into #pocket-tanks

Comment

I love you.

Dude, that's just clutch.
                          sigpic
                          Up, Down, and All Around.

Comment

Originally posted by ekoz View Post
                            I love you.

Dude, that's just clutch.
                            No, that was just boredom and curiosity really. After getting to know Linux for some months using it straight, I figured out how things worked and used that to My advantage. Though, I kinda wished I posted My findings only after the fact, instead of doing stuff, saying a result, trying something else and saying a different result, etc. etc.

It would certainly help to cut out misinformation from My prior failures I found workarounds or the correct solution for.
                            Windows and Linux users alike are free to join the Tank'd Hamachi network, password tank'd
                            Remember, the admin cannot chat in Hamachi!

Be sure to join irc.mibbit.com and come into #pocket-tanks

Comment

Working...
                            X