Png Vs Jpg!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Png Vs Jpg!

Okay guys, just thought i would show this, since most people here have no ideo what quality means, and thats OK!

Okay here is a PNG image:

PNG

And here is THE SAME IMAGE EXCEPT FOR THE PLACEMENT OF THE RENDER as jpg.

JPG

Now do you understand?

Also the size of the file makes a difference, look at this:

PNG:9.39 KB 9620 bytes
    JPG:2.89 KB 2958 bytes

Now for the love of 7 kilabytes would anyone think this is a big difference? Oh and then those who use bitmap... the quality is as good as png, however it is a lot bigger than png.

That depends on the software used... and your knowledge of that software... JPG's can be compressed if you want them too... Here's a comparison of your PNG verse a copy placed in Irfanview and saved as a JPG... Mines a bit larger... 15 kb or so... I could probably even them out a bit... but I don't intend to put in much effort....

PNG - Yours
    JPG - Mine
    "The Spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised."
    -- Zapp Brannigan, Captain

Comment

I think it would be helpful to see the effects of each file type when zoomed in. Here we see a pixelated juice box, created in Paint, saved as a PNG:

Now here's the EXACT same juice box, but this one has been saved as a jpeg:

EEEEEWWW!!
      sigpic <- Click
      "Were you so sad, then?" I asked, "on the day of the fourty-four sunsets?"
      But the little prince made no reply.

Comment

Once again... software... Here's another simple copy into Irfanview... JPG....

JPG's only suck if you don't know how to use them... I'm not saying that PNG's are not better... They do the same job without any thought... but there's absolutely nothing wrong with JPG's...

Comment

Size comparison:

Juice box:
          24-bit Bitmap of the juice box: 543 KB
          Jpeg saved in Irfanview: 124 KB
          Crappy Jpeg saved in Paint: 29.5 KB
          PNG saved in Paint: 8.55 KB

FF Userbar:
          Irfanview Jpeg: 15.2 KB
          PNG: 9.39 KB
          Crappy Jpeg: 2.88 KB

It looks to me like PNGs win in both quality and file size. It's not worth it to use a special program that saves high-quality Jpegs when PNGs still make the same quality of picture with an even smaller file.

PNG > JPEG
          sigpic <- Click

Comment

In this world? can you honestly tell me filesize still matters... Most people have moved on to broadband... Computers are getting infinitely Larger and Faster... Terabyte hard Drives are on the horizon... And I didn't say that JPG's are better...

Comment

File size may not matter much in terms of HARD DRIVE space, though what most people need to be concerned with is image hosting sites. Most sites will not host an image if the file is too large, and so you have the best chances of being able to host an image when you use a PNG.
              sigpic <- Click

Comment

True... but even those are growing... I remember earlier last year that Imageshack would not allow more than 1 megabyte per image... now if I'm not mistaken... it allows 1.5... Painted over has also made this change... as I just noticed...

Comment

I use maj.com, So far i have not seen a limit to the size, nor amount, so whatever it is, it's super large maximum filesize and file limit, so i doubt image hosting sites matter, but for people like me using a 2k laptop with a 119mb ram 333mhz cpu, it makes a difference whether you use png or jpg.

Comment

Jpeg's do this annoying thing where a single color is replaced by a bunch of speckles of very similar colors, very annoying when you are trying to "fill" a space with a different color, but you can't because making it a jpeg has scrambled the coors slightly.
                    sigpic
                    "Do you know what kind of hat I'm wearing? It's a party hat; you don't get one." - Tycho, Marathon Infinity
                    My Website of Miscellany
                    V.U. Member.

Comment

Originally posted by Xap View Post
                      Jpeg's do this annoying thing where a single color is replaced by a bunch of speckles of very similar colors, very annoying when you are trying to "fill" a space with a different color, but you can't because making it a jpeg has scrambled the coors slightly.
                      Your problems is software... or possibly settings within the software... At any rate... I'm done here...

Comment

So...

Do I win a prize?

Oh, and MNG>everything.

There's a loss in quality, IF you zoom in 8x. Naked eye, looks exactly the same.

And, 5k smaller.
                        Attached Files
                        "OH NOEZ TEH RUSSIANS R COMING" - ???Revived
                        I R Got a Wii: 8461 8206 9716 1597

Comment

I can tell a difference between the two without zooming in. The .png is better quality.

Comment

I too can see the difference without zooming in, look at the world and you will see light blue speckles in the dark blue sections.
                            sigpic <-made by Loofiloo (Thanks!)
                            "When I arrive in a city, I always ask who are the twelve most beautiful women, the twelve richest men, and the man who could have me hanged."
                            -Stendhal

Comment

Originally posted by Imposter View Post
                              I too can see the difference without zooming in, look at the world and you will see light blue speckles in the dark blue sections.
                              Yep. That's exactly what I was talking about before.
                              sigpic
                              "Do you know what kind of hat I'm wearing? It's a party hat; you don't get one." - Tycho, Marathon Infinity
                              My Website of Miscellany
                              V.U. Member.

Comment

Working...
                              X