This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weapon Fixes for Online Play?

I can't speak for everyone at BlitWise, but I suspect most attitudes would be close to this: We don't much care about the game being totally balanced and competitive. It's mostly about fun. Even if we add achievements and leaderboards, there is only so much that can be done. The Game Center charts will inevitably be filled with people who cracked the systems and game themselves 9 million points.

While I agree with you, Ekoz, that the Lemon and Tracers and all that aren't very useful or even fun, not everyone agrees with us. For several weeks the notification sound we used while testing Pocket Tanks was the Lemon. I could create a list of single spaced weapon suggestions 3 or 4 pages long from people who want more lemonesque weapons.

And as for Tracers, the fact is that not everyone is equally skilled. Taking out a weapon that enables people to feel more competent and have more fun isn't going to happen.
    Quid custodit ipsos custodes
    -Juventus

My Administrative motto

Wielder of a +1 Vorpal Sword of Banning.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
      I can't speak for everyone at BlitWise, but I suspect most attitudes would be close to this: We don't much care about the game being totally balanced and competitive. It's mostly about fun. Even if we add achievements and leaderboards, there is only so much that can be done. The Game Center charts will inevitably be filled with people who cracked the systems and game themselves 9 million points.

While I agree with you, Ekoz, that the Lemon and Tracers and all that aren't very useful or even fun, not everyone agrees with us. For several weeks the notification sound we used while testing Pocket Tanks was the Lemon. I could create a list of single spaced weapon suggestions 3 or 4 pages long from people who want more lemonesque weapons.

And as for Tracers, the fact is that not everyone is equally skilled. Taking out a weapon that enables people to feel more competent and have more fun isn't going to happen.
      well, at least i can disable those weapons for online play...right?
      sigpic
      Up, Down, and All Around.

Comment

Correct. I forgot to add that point to my post. If you are playing against a friend, your weapon selections are active, provided you have at least 30 weapons selected. (We might even raise that number if we get more competitive, but 30 is the bare minimum in my mind)

Random matches, however, don't work that way. They ignore all your settings and selections, setting everything to default, and picking ten weapons for each person. It's meant to be a way to get a quick game against a new person, who you might then decide to rematch or friend.
        Quid custodit ipsos custodes
        -Juventus

My Administrative motto

Wielder of a +1 Vorpal Sword of Banning.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
          Correct. I forgot to add that point to my post. If you are playing against a friend, your weapon selections are active, provided you have at least 30 weapons selected. (We might even raise that number if we get more competitive, but 30 is the bare minimum in my mind)

Random matches, however, don't work that way. They ignore all your settings and selections, setting everything to default, and picking ten weapons for each person. It's meant to be a way to get a quick game against a new person, who you might then decide to rematch or friend.
          i'd much rather you make it so you can choose a preset list for quick matches, then. something along the lines of bans.

for example, each player can choose 5 weapons to "ban". these are chosen outside of a game, in the player's profile. like a player setting, or something. whenever a quickmatch is started, then the game will ban automatically all 10 weapons from both players.

that way, players have some sort of strategical say in what they'd like to face, but keep the quick match aspect of the mode.

so, say for example i want to have tracer, super tracer, laser tracer, lemon, and mystery bombs on my own personal ban list. i hit quickmatch and boom - i'm automatically matched up with a person in my skill level, who has their OWN personal ban list - let's say lots of dirt weapons like mud pie, blackout, ant farm, big dirtball, and great wall. the game then tkes into account our own personal ban lists and chooses weapons from the remaining available weapons.

seems like a fair trade off. that way, all people can have their optimal playing experience.
          sigpic

Comment

Ok Ekoz, you do actually have your own "ban list" that you can use. You can choose to disable any weapons you want from the game down to 30. You must have at least 30 weapons selected for your match or the game will add back weapons from the top of the list till you have 30 total allowed. That mean you will not get any of the weapons you choose to disable. You're opponent can do the same thing and remove weapons they don't want. You're list of selected and deselected weapons does not affect their weapon choices though. In Random Opponent games this is not the case, all settings are default and the weapon choices default to all available weapons. Just to clarify a little more.
            Nate
            www.blitwise.com

Comment

Originally posted by NateC View Post
              Ok Ekoz, you do actually have your own "ban list" that you can use. You can choose to disable any weapons you want from the game down to 30. You must have at least 30 weapons selected for your match or the game will add back weapons from the top of the list till you have 30 total allowed. That mean you will not get any of the weapons you choose to disable. You're opponent can do the same thing and remove weapons they don't want. You're list of selected and deselected weapons does not affect their weapon choices though. In Random Opponent games this is not the case, all settings are default and the weapon choices default to all available weapons. Just to clarify a little more.
              heh, my last post was more of a request than a misunderstanding.

a quick synopsis of it would be this:

-Players A and B have their own special "Quickplay ban list", which only allow 5 bans. this is edited in options.

-Player A chooses weapons 1,2,3,4,5,
              -Player B chooses weapons 6,7,8,9,10.

-Players A and B are matched up via Quick-matchmaker. The Quick-matchmaker reads their special Quick-match ban lists and bans weapons 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.

-Weapon Selection Begins. Weapons 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 are off the table. at least 50 other weapons remain.

-Game begins.
              it would be the best of both worlds - you can only "remove" 5 weapons you don't like, while the enemy can only remove 5 weapons they don't like. removes much of the RNG from the selection process without making the process any more bulky or difficult. plus, it's optional - players who like all weapons can decide to not use their bans, while players (like me) who have a certain distaste for some weapons can get exactly what they want off the table, at the expense of (maybe) letting others return the favour.
              sigpic

Comment

So let me start off by saying that I'm a long time fan and that this game has meant a lot over the years.
                Pocket tanks has out lasted many games since it's creation into this new age and look forward to its future.

Since getting the ios version I've been online frequently. I've notice a lot and share this:

An option to increase weapon selection minimum
                Viewing player statistics or player game option info
                In game chat or text selection (enable/disable)
                Game modes for showdowns, certain challenges and weapon themes

Playing online with others is amazing. Drawing a connection between them makes from a great experience in play tactics, personal weapon and game rules, socializing and just saying "hi".

As far as weapon balancing is concerned, adding modes and pack selection options for match making would work. I agree on the fun of stock play, however quick and easy match selection brings those with weapon packs applicable to the same table of balance without guessing how to prepare and stay fair.

I do disable some weapons in the pack for online play (tracers, lemon ect) but I don't want to play unfairly. Sometimes i proc a really good set of weapons and risk having players forfeit. If the game has modes to choose for us, or agreeable user made modes if packs applicable for both players, it'll save having to dump weapons or rebalance. Plus, devs could put their top 10 user modes on display or have events.

Comment

this is a test so I can have permission to post new threads

Comment

Working...
                  X