X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapon Fixes for Online Play?

Hello, fellow Pocket Tanks lovers.

We are getting pretty close to having Pocket Tanks playable between different mobile devices on iOS. (Other platforms will follow shortly, but it's taken us long enough to do just the one!)

That being the case, people will soon be able to play friends, strangers, folks from all over the world with, we hope, great ease. As such, it may be high time to tweak a few weapons that still don't work right. We'll likely to be fixing the Spinners glitch, for starters.

What other weapons are broken and should be fixed before someone gets their feelings hurt? Obviously we're mainly concerned with glitches that result in ridiculously high scores, or otherwise interfere with proper gameplay. This isn't the place to complain that a particular weapon isn't your favorite, or you think it's unbalanced, etc. (Though we may also be looking into Lock Box, as that doesn't really meet our design intent.)

So let us have it. There's lots of weapons, and we welcome your input.
    Quid custodit ipsos custodes
    -Juventus

My Administrative motto

Wielder of a +1 Vorpal Sword of Banning.

Re: Weapon Fixes for Online Play?

When both tanks are near, I've faced ridiculously high scores/low score with following weapons:

Spinner
    Porcupine
    Particle Bomb
    One person with a belief is equal to a force of ninety-nine who have only interests - Peter Marshall

Comment

Include supernova too....2000+ score when tanks are near...not fair....impossible to defeat opponents with such high score....
      One person with a belief is equal to a force of ninety-nine who have only interests - Peter Marshall

Comment

keep the spinner glitch. i command thee.
        sigpic
        Up, Down, and All Around.

Comment

Using weapons based on knowledge and experience is one thing, but they were never intended to work this way.

If you can get close, or level, by all means, there's bazooka, laser, blowtorch, any number of reviled, short range, and LoS weapons.

But the behavior of Spinner et al is just a trick of the code.
          -Juventus

My Administrative motto

Comment

The Time Bomb and Yo-yo doesn't do that much damage which makes these weapons useless

Okay Time bomb could use a buff but Yo-yo? Well it could be buffed, but then again it will have a large penalty

Comment

Originally posted by QuakeMan8782 View Post
              The Time Bomb and Yo-yo doesn't do that much damage which makes these weapons useless

Okay Time bomb could use a buff but Yo-yo? Well it could be buffed, but then again it will have a large penalty
              if you grab time bomb, you're almost required to grab a large terrain displacement weapon to balance it.

as for weapon balance, i would consider...just removing tracers. they have...literally no impact. you use it, they move, or the wind changes, or they bury themselves. tracer wasted, no impact on terrain or scores or wind or anything. tracers just need to be removed. same thing as lemon. i realize these things were added for the reasoning of being duds and in local play that is FINE because you're playing with friends and who cares about fairness. but in ONLINE play, fairness is the name of the game, especially when it comes to ranks (which i assume is most likely the next logical step of online PT.)

imagine being high rank. you queue up for an online game. and YOU get stuck with a lemon. that's a random handicap for no reason that will likely cost you the game and ranking.

simply put, weapons like tracers and the freaking lemon need to be removed entirely from online play, if not just completely revamped.

consider making them special "target practice mode only" weapons and replacing them with more unique weapons since the engine is now so much more capable of cool, unique things.

also, every weapon that has a prox or time detonation trigger could potentially bug due to the nature of the game. most weapons that have prox or time detonations DO bug, such as spinner, porcupine, pineapple, etc.
              sigpic

Comment

Tracers are ok, I disagree. And Tracers sometimes are useful. When you only have tracer and sniper rifle e.g.
                And lemon is great. When I only started, I was wondering, what this weapon would do if hit. Well, now I just feel butthurt when get it. But that's cool. Making all weapons effective is a bad way to balance the game. It will be boring, because the contrast between cool weaps and crappy will be less.

Comment

Laser tracer is useless in mobile version and it's not funny
                  VETERANS UNITED MEMBER!!! Excuse me for my English, I'm from Russia. Playing PT since 2001!

Comment

Small fix worth requesting on my end. I'm running the deluxe edition (v2.0) on my iphone 4s with iOS 7.0.4 and I'm having a trouble with in app purchases. This occurred when I tried to purchase a weapons pack (specifically the Ambush Pack). The transaction was completed (and can be verified in my app store account history), but the pack was never installed and when I go to the weapons screen to restore purchases, the game freezes and crashes. In the immortal words of the confused internet poster: "What do?"

-Lucretius

PS: Apologies if this isn't the best place for my query, and please redirect me if necessary. I'd like to resolve this issue soon!

Comment

Originally posted by ekoz View Post
                      i would consider...lemon...lemon...freaking lemon
                      I don't think Ekoz likes the lemon.
                      -Juventus

My Administrative motto

Comment

Originally posted by Lucretius View Post
                        Small fix worth requesting on my end. I'm running the deluxe edition (v2.0) on my iphone 4s with iOS 7.0.4 and I'm having a trouble with in app purchases. This occurred when I tried to purchase a weapons pack (specifically the Ambush Pack). The transaction was completed (and can be verified in my app store account history), but the pack was never installed and when I go to the weapons screen to restore purchases, the game freezes and crashes. In the immortal words of the confused internet poster: "What do?"

-Lucretius

PS: Apologies if this isn't the best place for my query, and please redirect me if necessary. I'd like to resolve this issue soon!
                        Lucretius, my first suggestion is to completely power off and power on your phone. If that doesn't help, delete the app and reinstall. If that doesn't help you could go even further with a factory reset, but I'd contact techsupport@blitwise.com before taking that step.
                        -Juventus

My Administrative motto

Comment

Originally posted by Ragyragy View Post
                          Tracers are ok, I disagree. And Tracers sometimes are useful. When you only have tracer and sniper rifle e.g.
                          And lemon is great. When I only started, I was wondering, what this weapon would do if hit. Well, now I just feel butthurt when get it. But that's cool. Making all weapons effective is a bad way to balance the game. It will be boring, because the contrast between cool weaps and crappy will be less.
                          my point still stands. while lemon and tracers are funny to push off on others in local play where the game isn't competitive; in ONLINE play where the game gains a competitive nature, being stuck with a weapon that unfairly gives your opponent a handicap makes the game not fun. it's not about making the weapons all do the same. it's about making the game relatively balanced.

tracers, lemon, etc...those types of weapons do nothing but help train you to play the game, or handicap against you. they are not competitive.

i'm not asking for pure balance. that's chess. what i'm asking for is cyclical balance; where everything fits in its own slot and has some sort of use, no matter what. mountain mover only removes ground and cheap shot never misses, but they're balanced: mountain mover provides you with an option to escape a tomb or destroy fortification. cheap shot is saved until it's impossible to hit the enemy and you need that clutch 20 points. both items have their own niche and i could be able to easily find a use for both in the right occasion, usually during any given game. but as an experienced player, tracer does nothing for me because i understand the physics of the game to a point where tracer is actually a handicap, and lemon provides only 1 skillful play - being a soft counter to rainbow dirt that provides you with soft fortification. that is literally the one skillful play it can make. other than that, it provides no use.

even mystery bombs, widely regarded as the worst non-tracer, non-joke weapon in the game, can provide rudimentary landclear and close range point yields.

tracer merely provides you with data that is almost CERTAIN to change next turn, and lemon does nothing but virtually flip you off. how is that fair? how is that balanced? it's only balanced if both players have the same weapons, and at that point why not simply remove them or revamp them?

i'd love to see (or even work with) blitwise coming up with ideas on how to make the lemon and tracer weapons balanced, skillful weapons. or, if not possible, replace them with skillful balanced weapons
                          Last edited by ekoz; 12-04-2013, 05:40 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

>I don't think Ekoz likes the lemon.
                            Lol.

Being competitive?.. Ehh, haven't heard this thing. Just aiming, firing... Having fun from watching cool realised strategies. I see your point and you ought to find someone else to discuss it with.

Comment

I don't care much for tracers and lemons. Sometimes I use tracers even I do not want to use them. Besides after using it, the opponents then use a weapon that deals a lot of damage, boring.

Oh and lemons? All they do is miss the target a lot of times no matter what you aim at.

Comment

Working...
                              X