Essentials for v1.4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essentials for v1.4

Pocket Tanks v1.3 was great. And as most of us know, soon 15 more weapons will be released and after that, online play(probabily v1.4). So why not take some more time and also include some more features than just online play:
    1. Spectating i.e. watch 2 other players playin a game
    2. Terrain Creator: Users will be able to create and save terrains; and be able to reload the while playing.
    3. Custom colours/textures for the tanks
    4. Playing your mp3's as background music
    5. Scores below 0
    6. Console control i.e. giving more powers/options for a person to host like:
    a. Setting no. of volleys (1-20 or more)
    b. Kicking a person from the game
    c. Setting no. of moves (0-10 or more)
    d. Setting up spawn points i.e. where the tanks will be at the starting of the game. This will work with the terrain creator.
    7. Tournament Play i.e. winner will be declared after more than 1 match

Please post your views on these or more suggestions.
    Last edited by prateek; 11-02-2007, 04:40 PM.

e. Alowing more then 2 players a game
    f. Tournament modes

Comment

Tournament play is an excellent idea but alloying more than 2 players would require a whole new gameplay which Mike isn't ready to do.

Comment

I'm liking all of those ideas, especially 2 and 3.
        I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
        > sigpic >
        ~Get your disputes solved by a real rules lawyer. Ask the red mage.

LOLWUT, YOUR OUT OF SYNC. GG ~Rex Nex

Comment

SUPER HAPPY FUN BOLD TIME!
          Originally posted by prateek.singla View Post
          1. Spectating i.e. watch 2 other players playin a game
          Once they get a lobby system up, that would be great. However, that isn't needed yet because with LAN, you are all pretty much int he same building. If you really want to watch their game, just look over their shoulder.
          2. Terrain Creator: Users will be able to create and save terrains; and be able to reload the while playing.
          To the first part, you better mean load your own terrain you made on paint, then editting a file to show where both tanks start. That's the only way to do it. I have no clue what you mean by reloading the terrain. If you mean restore, that ruins the game. If you mean reload the terrain file in target practice, thats cool.
          3. Custom colours/textures for the tanks
          Ugh... Why do you think Mike W. took out the easy way to change colors? I think that gives an answer.
          4. Playing your mp3's as background music
          You can. Press either F7 or F8 in game to turn off their music and get Windows Media player running with your play list on repeat.
          5. Scores below 0
          That wouldn't be good. The scoring method is good enough. Doing that would make it extremely hard to get back up to regular points if a Spinner Glitch backfired, and with online, most people would hack or quit.
          6. Console control i.e. giving more powers/options for a person to host like:
          a. Setting no. of volleys (1-20 or more)
          Agreed.
          b. Kicking a person from the game
          No. If your losing, your kick would be the only kick needed (when was PTanks a 3+ player game) to get him out and win.
          c. Setting no. of moves (0-10 or more)
          Maybe, I can see it.
          d. Setting up spawn points i.e. where the tanks will be at the starting of the game. This will work with the terrain creator.
          It would be the only way to use the terrain creator. However, terrain needs to be loaded externally. Like icy tower.
          7. Tournament Play i.e. winner will be declared after more than 1 match
          Hmm... We already have that, don't we? Get some paper, a pencil and some buddies. Set up a tree diagram. Play/

Please post your views on these or more suggestions.
          Now for Nonnag:
          e. Alowing more then 2 players a game
          Hmm... Mike said no to that already. ( he said it a lot nicer than that)
          f. Tournament modes
          Why program tournament modes when you can make them yourself?
          Now for Prateek's response:
          Tournament play is an excellent idea but alloying more than 2 players would require a whole new gameplay which Mike isn't ready to do.
          Really... So Mike isn't ready? When did you find that out? It wouldn't add new gameplay. Its like changing 2 player games to 3 player games.
          Here are some ideas:
          1. RGB/LST menu for tank colors.
          2. Gameplay editor. It is an option in the Options section that allows you to adjust volleys, moves, weapons, wind, anything.
          3. In-game user names. These are your personal records. You'd have two. Online and offline. Online would be stored on Blitwise's server once they get one. Offline would be a .cfg file, preferrably encrypted.
          3a. Rewards. Once you beat a level ten cpu offline so many times, you get a trophy. Once you beat an online opponent 500 times, you can chose shining tanks. And so on.

Those are my ideas.
          Tricky Revolutionary War

Comment

I like Blue Moon's ideas.
            Math Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
            Reading Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
            Computer Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Comment

I like all ideas ^_^
              VETERANS UNITED MEMBER!!! Excuse me for my English, I'm from Russia. Playing PT since 2001!

Comment

For tournaments, i mean like SSBM tourneies, but online. Like so many people, online, so its easier to set up.

Comment

Exactly how will you get 32 people to join at one time? An ad in the newspaper may attract local town's folk and horse radish, but that's probably not enough. Imagine.
                  Tricky Revolutionary War

Comment

This is for blue moon:
                    1. Spectating: As you said, online would be great, but in LAN, it is not required. Well, the LAN in which I play spans over 3 rooms- you just cant keep running here to there to watch their games. Also, people playing through Hamachi can't see each other's games.
                    2. Terrain Creator: What I meant was players will be able to create terrains IN THE GAME (not in paint) and save them in a folder. Then, while choosing the game settings, they will be able to browse and choose that terrain for the game. Also, restoring terrain in target practice was a cool idea.
                    3. Custom colours/textures for tanks: I go with your idea- RGB/LST menu for tank colors.Thnx.
                    4. Playing your mp3's as background music: First, turn off game music. Then, play your mp'3 through Media Player - wasn't this obvious. But 1)This is a very immature method 2)You can't turn off game music once the game has started 3) Wouldn't it be easy if there was just a folder where you can place your songs and they would be played automatically.
                    5. I agree with you for some extent. As far as backfires are concerned, players should be more careful. The score below 0 thing would be a good way so caution players against backfires. And about the quiting thing- isn't that already happenening??
                    a. Agreed. Well and Good!
                    b. Kicking a person from the game : Kicking your opponent would not make you the winner but end the game. I added this so that people can kick persons who are trying to cheat. But since there are hardly any hacks or cheats in the game, I take it back.
                    c. Setting no. of moves : Nice idea,eh?
                    d. Setting up spawn points will work with the terrain creator i.e. people will have to specify spawn points while they are creating terrains
                    7. Tournament play: You can create tournament on LAN (not in my case) but what about online? Also, once there is a dedicated server online, it wouldn't be hard to get 32 players online. Also, what I meant by tournament play was that the winner will be announced after winning a series of matches i.e. the fireworks and the winner logo above the tank will not appear till the player has won the specified no. of matches.

I hope this satisfies your doubts.

Now to your ideas:
                    1. 1. RGB/LST menu for tank colors: Better than my idea.
                    2. Gameplay editor. It is an option in the Options section that allows you to adjust volleys, moves, weapons, wind, anything: Similar to Console Control, isn't it?
                    3. In-game user names. These are your personal records. You'd have two. Online and offline. Online would be stored on Blitwise's server once they get one. Offline would be a .cfg file, preferrably encrypted: Agreed
                    3a. Rewards. Once you beat a level ten cpu offline so many times, you get a trophy. Once you beat an online opponent 500 times, you can chose shining tanks. And so on: Excellent idea. It will really differentiate beginners from expert players- Just like the status in you get in Blitwise Forum.

What can I say. There really isn't any flaw in your ideas! Maybe that's the difference in a Super Star and a Late Bloomer

Comment

For the terrain thing, I think it would be simple to just have the terrain editor be like that of Worms: Armageddon. You just select the size of your paint brush and draw it. It then puts in the details for you. (Shades of green and stuff.)
                      I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
                      > sigpic >
                      ~Get your disputes solved by a real rules lawyer. Ask the red mage.

LOLWUT, YOUR OUT OF SYNC. GG ~Rex Nex

Comment

How about hiding the other player's power, angle, no. of moves,etc. while playing on LAN.

Comment

That would be good for LAN. I think the only two ways to do custom terrain is to make a .bmp/.png file and then load that, or do like Samail said.
                          Tricky Revolutionary War

Comment

Hey Blue, did you read post #10??

Comment

At your request

Phew, that's quite a list of cool ideas for v1.4. All I had in mind for v1.4 is:

1) for LAN games, detect when a goes out of sync and then re-sync both computers (between each player's turn)

2) Ability to same and view a game replay

3) Fix several glitches that I've found in v1.3

I was thinking that v1.5 would be the online version.

As for the other ideas, they are all good suggestions. The ones that I personally aspire to create at some point are:

- Terrain editor

- Options for number of rounds/moves/etc...

- Sure... why not... more tank colors

- Tournament play

There is no way you'll see any of this before v1.5, but we are all on the same page in terms of thinking that Pocket Tanks deserves these improvements.
                              -Mike
                              www.blitwise.com

Comment

Working...
                              X