Neon Wars Sprite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neon Wars Sprite

I was thinking about Neon Wars and I heard somewhere that we could design our own sprites and submit them as an idea for possible future releases, but I found no submissions area

Therefore, I am posting my idea here for your viewing pleasure. Please tell me what you think.

BTW, I would love to see more ZONES in future X-packs (with more enemies also) just for more of an adventure.

Anyways, here's the sprite:

(This is a completely custom sprite, but I used ideas from other "already made" sprites to help me gather shading ideas and glowing ideas.)

This enemy spawns anywhere on the field and does not move around (it only spins slowly in place). When you hit it with your ship's bullets, it starts making a 'charging' sound, then in a few seconds, it destroys anything in a small range around itself (including itself). The base point value (at 1x points) would be 100 because you can, if you're not too careful, get destroyed in its explosion radius.
    Jarrett Frostburge ze 3rde

Originally posted by The Slade
    My mechanical foot says "thanks."

That's interesting.
    Math Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    Reading Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    Computer Skills Level:llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Comment

I just LOVE customizing and creating new things.

From the past you can see that I love to make Pocket Tanks weapon icons in the ICON ART thread, and now (if I get hooked [probably]) I might make this thread a Neon Wars Sprite Art thread. It is sooooo much fun ...

Comment

I'm not sure we had said anything about user submitted content, if only because I don't believe Mike planned on doing any expansions for Neon Wars. It hasn't caught on the way Pocket Tanks or even Super DX Ball has.
        Quid custodit ipsos custodes
        -Juventus

My Administrative motto

Wielder of a +1 Vorpal Sword of Banning.

Comment

True. It was said somewhere also by either you or Mike that Neon wars was one of those games where there are only 2 parts to it and it is complete -- the shareware and the deluxe 'versions'.

Though I was thinking if there would be something like "Neon Wars 2", would you take-in submissions and use some of our ideas to make enemies and levels? But that is all your choice.

Comment

Here are two more sprites I made just now:

The pink fox:
            = A very fast enemy. When you come within a large range of this enemy, it sprints towards you at a high speed. 75 points (base value).

And the blue ace:
            = An average speed enemy. This enemy destroys and enemy it comes in contact with -- you do not receive those points of the enemies destroyed by this enemy. Takes longer to destroy with normal fire. 75 points (base value).

Please ignore the bad image quality because the uploading degrades the images slightly.

Comment

Necro bump.

Expansions would be great for Neon Wars. There are still many possibilities for enemies.
              (Still trying to keep their movement simple.)
              The idea of expansions ought to be thought of.

Some shapes came to my mind...

Oval: An orange oval. When it appears, it moves toward wherever the player is in one direction. After that it's basically a Cog.

X: An orange link-type enemy. (Linked X's, with square sides so they don't look like Cogs)
              Moves like the Centi, but diagonally, rather than up, down, left and right, in 90 degree turns.

Blaster: A red square enemy with points around it. Explodes when hit, scattering the points.

Kamikaze: A violet enemy that looks similar to the Arrow, but with jagged edges on its back and a slightly longer point on the front. When hit, it chases the player (probably at higher speeds) for a while before dying. Very small explosion. Kills player if caught in it.
              (Not sure how it would move normally. Maybe like the Worm)

@Slade if you're still around: What do you use for those sprites? Gimp?
              Last edited by Samail; 03-24-2008, 06:57 AM. Reason: Forgot two, 2nd edit: Re-wordage
              I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
              > sigpic >
              ~Get your disputes solved by a real rules lawyer. Ask the red mage.

LOLWUT, YOUR OUT OF SYNC. GG ~Rex Nex

Comment

i personally use paint and UP for everything i make. i made a ship sprite a while back. i could dig it up.
                sigpic
                Up, Down, and All Around.

Comment

How did you get that neon-ie effect?
                  ...still existing

Comment

Bump.

Had another thought.

Flamer: A small circle with a fiery-looking outside. Flies in one direction (or like a Spinner), and occasionally charges at the player with a fiery trail behind it. (More subtle than it sounds.)
                    > sigpic >

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                      I'm not sure we had said anything about user submitted content, if only because I don't believe Mike planned on doing any expansions for Neon Wars. It hasn't caught on the way Pocket Tanks or even Super DX Ball has.
                      Exactly. The shareware version has enough stuff in it for you to be happy with it and not need the deluxe version. Who cares what color the stage is? I'm not going to pay just so I can play on a red stage. The problem with Neon Wars is that it isnt as customizable as Super DX or Tanks.
                      I'm the anti-sniper.

Member of the ISA and all that.

Comment

Uh, the different zones have different enemies...
                        That's the entire point.

I don't expect any expansions on Neon Wars. I'm just dropping ideas.

Those are the 14 enemies you're missing out on.
                        Last edited by Samail; 06-28-2008, 05:34 AM.
                        > sigpic >

Comment

Originally posted by Samail View Post
                          @Slade if you're still around: What do you use for those sprites? Gimp?
                          Microsoft paint lol.

Originally posted by Red_Cracker View Post
                          How did you get that neon-ie effect?
                          I used the microsoft pain palette-thingy and, line by line, I made each line outward darker than the previous (if that makes sense.)

~~~ EDIT ~~~

BTW, I like your 'help screen' idea =).

Comment

Idea?
                            That was just to show `cant aim` the purpose of the coloured zones, because he is clearly completely ignorant.

Originally posted by cant aim View Post
                            The problem with Neon Wars is that it isnt as customizable as Super DX or Tanks.
                            Actually, if you really want to, you can change the appearance of the enemies in Neon Wars just by opening the sprites in Paint. (Though there isn't much purpose to that. Nothing to gain.)
                            And SDX-B doesn`t have an editor yet, so using present-tense on it is incorrect.
                            Last edited by Samail; 08-09-2008, 11:12 PM. Reason: Typo
                            > sigpic >

Comment

Bumpity Bumpity Bumpity Bump!

here is the ship i talked about...lol

038.3.png

039.3.png

knock yourselves out.
                              sigpic
                              Up, Down, and All Around.

Comment

Working...
                              X