Dwarf Fortress!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf Fortress!

Has anyone heard of this game? It's this hardcore roguelike/strategy game where you have a colony of dwarves and you build a tremendous fortress!

WANNA SEE SOME SCREENSHOTS?

YEAH THAT'S TEXT. Isn't it awesome?

Well aside from the graphics looking the way they do, it's an astoundingly deep game. You get plopped down in the world with 7 dwarves and a wagon full of gumption and you have to build your own fortress and learn to live off the land.

Like, say you want to make an army in Age of Empires. You grab a villager, tell him to build a barracks, and when that's done, you click on the button for soldiers a few times, and some will be produced.

You want to make an army in Dwarf Fortress? Well you'll have to have a productive first year of trading with the caravans, usually by making crafts at the craftsdwarf's workshop out of rocks or wood. But you won't get any rock or wood unless you tunnel into the ground or chop down trees to have the proper supplies. Now if you end up creating stuff that generates an impressive profit for you with the traders, migrants might be attracted to your fortress (between 5 and 25 in a season). Then you can assign those dwarves to be soldiers. But that's not all you have to do to have an army. You need to make weapons for your soldiers. So you build a furnace in your fortress, and convert wood to charcoal or use coal you've mined from the earth in that furnace. Then you use that fuel in the smelter's workshop to smelt iron ores you might have found in the ground and produce iron bars. Then you use iron bars and whatever fuel source you had for the furnace to forge some sort of weapon. But then there's armor to think about, and you've gotta make crossbows out of wood or metal, and make bolts for those crossbows out of wood, bone, or metal, and you have to hunt and then butcher animals to get skins to make into leather to craft into quivers to hold those bolts and assign the dwarves to a squad and have the squad spar in the barracks or practice shooting in the archery range, and just... HOLY *%&# I DIDN'T REALIZE THIS WAS SO COMPLICATED.

But that's why I can't stop playing. There is soooo much to do in this game, and so much fun stuff. You've gotta produce food and drinks for the dwarves, keep them happy with all kinds of accommodations, and build all kinds of elaborate traps and junk which you use to defend your fort from various attacking enemies like kobolds, goblins, elves, dragons, and even such little things as pestering rhesus monkeys. Natually a whole lot of the game is randomly generated.

I've been playing for almost a week... I've watched 16 tutorial videos on Youtube and I'd say that with that, I've absorbed about 20% of the knowledge needed to actually play this game like a pro.

I don't know if anyone here is a fan of roguelikes or anything, but this is more like a real-time strategy game with roguelike elements such as those awesome awesome graphics. If anyone wants to try and embark on this journey...
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html

It was a long time before I actually decided to hunker down and seriously get into playing this, but it was really worth it. Now I can't stop. I don't suppose anyone else has heard of it and wants to talk about how awesome it is?

Bonus link: An awesome advertisement for Dwarf Fortress. Don't click if you are sensitive to language.
    http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9446/dfad.png
    sigpic <- Click
    "Were you so sad, then?" I asked, "on the day of the fourty-four sunsets?"
    But the little prince made no reply.

dude. this game sounds amazing, but i'm afraid it would waste too much time i can't waste because i'm a junior.

so i respectfully, and sadly, have to decline your offer.
    sigpic
    Up, Down, and All Around.

Comment

The second roguelike thread. Im downloading this.

-EDIT-
      Well, the game is great, but I happened to find the ASCII art hard to use as a game, therefor I modded my Dwarf Fortress. Screenies of mine below.
      Last edited by Rex Nex; 01-10-2010, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I like using the ascii graphics to weird out my friends and roommates
        sigpic <- Click

Comment

"I don't even see the code anymore. All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead..."

Didn't know anyone else here knew about DF. I've been playing for over a year now; it's great. Update due around February!

Link to the graphical version in Rex's post (also my favorite)
          Everything you need to know to play.
          Vote: The instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.
          - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Comment

Dwarf Fortress 2010 released, complete with a hospital system, improved fighting system, stronger mega beasts, arena mode, improved military system, underground improvements, biome improvements, and a whole lot more I don't feel like spamming this post with.

Still playing this game, #2 on my "Average hours/week" gaming list, right below Warcraft III. Very, very fun. Built my first 10 story tower above ground today, with the first level big enough to fit a barracks for my marksdwarves.

Comment

Yeah, I'm making a fort now that's about half above-ground and half underground. Gonna put things like workshops and worker bedrooms in above-ground buildings, and put stuff like nobles' bedrooms and dining halls and statue yards below ground, so the walls can be engraved and all.

The new version is definitely glitchy though. I really hate how rotten corpses never disappear... But at least now they also don't generate miasma... Just clutter
              sigpic <- Click

Comment

Indeed. Until Dwarf Fortress 2010 has been merged with Dwarf Fortress 40d18, I recommend playing the latter. Nearly glitch less, works with tilesets perfectly, and has a few features (Such as zooming) that 2010 will not have for another week or two, while they are combined.

By the way loofie, I suspect masonry and rock/gem crafting will be quite the chore for that setup. Perhaps make an exception for these rock-using workshops, or you might find yourself in need of a lot more labor then would otherwise be needed. I also suggest you do this on a magma-bearing map, as the magma furnace is a nice asset to towers, along with the providence of Obsidian (Which is available without magma too, but can be made with the addition of water to magma)

Comment

its sounds good

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Nex View Post
                    Indeed. Until Dwarf Fortress 2010 has been merged with Dwarf Fortress 40d18, I recommend playing the latter. Nearly glitch less, works with tilesets perfectly, and has a few features (Such as zooming) that 2010 will not have for another week or two, while they are combined.

By the way loofie, I suspect masonry and rock/gem crafting will be quite the chore for that setup. Perhaps make an exception for these rock-using workshops, or you might find yourself in need of a lot more labor then would otherwise be needed. I also suggest you do this on a magma-bearing map, as the magma furnace is a nice asset to towers, along with the providence of Obsidian (Which is available without magma too, but can be made with the addition of water to magma)
                    I think in the new version, every site has magma when you dig deep enough. I think the underground in the past spanned some 15-20 levels, but now it spans 50+. I dug as far as I possibly could and I did eventually hit magma.
                    sigpic <- Click

Comment

Yeah, everyone's got magma now. And the site viewer now goes about 200 (!) levels below the surface, of which I once managed to dig through 150 before losing the fort in a spectacularly fiery and violent fashion.
                      Vote: The instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.
                      - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Comment

I seriously invite you guys to come join Paperscale fortress. Don't even need to play the game, just write down the name of your dwarf (If you dont want to register over at bay12, go ahead and put it all here) and your chosen profession(s). I will then put them in my fortress, and write little stories pertaining to what they are doing within my fortress, as well as screenshots.

Professions are here

Comment

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player fantasy game. You can manage your dwarven outpost or an adventurer, a randomly generated, the world continues. Although Dwarf Fortress is still in progress, many features have already been taken.

Comment

Just throwing out that this game has a ton of updates. I'd like to suggest you guys try to get into it.

Also, its in the New York Times this coming sunday, I think. Article is available online right here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/ma...pagewanted=all

Comment

Ah wow, Dwarf Fortress sounds very melancholy on the piano. Listen to the theme:

http://tindeck.com/listen/wjye

Comment

Working...
                              X