Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlitWise Forum Update: Feedback Thread.

Salutations and felicitations, my dewy-eyed worshipers!

As you may have noticed if you are have been 'round these parts more than a day, we have recently updated to the latest version of vBulletin, after some 5 years. It was a big change, and enables all sorts of new things which we are very excited about. However, our old skins, styles, and layouts were not compatible. Currently, there are three available styles to choose from; the vBulletin Default, which is quite clear, fairly friends, and terribly boring. There's also the BlitWise Forums style, which is our homage to the old forums. Finally, the inaptly named BlitAlt style, which is set as the forum default, and reflects the feel of some of our upcoming changes.

So this is the place to discuss the new forums, and blogs. Feel free to vent your dissatisfaction if so felt, or to praise the new look. But most importantly, we're looking for concrete feedback. What doesn't work? What is hard to read? What would you like to see? I'm not above downloading a few customized skins (and there is a huge community of people who make them) if there is interest in using them, but I'd like to know that there is such interest before investing the time and in some cases money to do so.

Personally, I really like the BlitAlt look. The purple on black really pops, and I think it's attractive and, by and large now that we've changed a few things, fairly easy to read.
    Quid custodit ipsos custodes
    -Juventus

My Administrative motto

Wielder of a +1 Vorpal Sword of Banning.

I agree, I like the look of the BlitAlt theme. I really enjoy the Black and Purple color scheme.
    Nate
    www.blitwise.com

Comment

i grew accustomed to the serenity scheme over the years, and now, ironically, i can't really concentrate with the all gray, and the black on purple is...odd.

needless to say, i'm sticking with the default, which is the closest to serenity.

it seems like a change for the better, which i'll get used to.
      sigpic
      Up, Down, and All Around.

Comment

Can't decide if I want to be bland and go to Default VB4 which is closest to the style I used before (Just fancier!!) or the new purple/black.

(AND HOLY S$#@%)*#$%T THERES AN AUTO SAVE FEATURE ON TYPING HERE!!)
        sigpic

Comment

yeah, this is the standard style of vbulletin. it's been like this for a while now. i also frequent a different forum which uses a mod of this engine.

(PS - the imaging system is...different. it took me a while to get used to it. BBcode still works, tho)
          sigpic

Comment

...This means all my hidden text that I ever made white is all visible... Okay NOW we need a hide text bbcode.

In other news, I found out what Mike and Ben look like:
            sigpic•
            "Never put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after" -Mark Twain

Comment

that's oldsauce.

now find me a video of Ben robot-ing it up.
              sigpic

Comment

I just never saw it before.

Yeah I'm missing the old layout. Also, every topic I look at says its unread. Mind adding a button to mark stuff as read? The one we currently have marks it read for every member on the entire forum.

Also: Why does Ekoz have double green bars next to his name, and why do they seem to almost (but not really) start to look like a triple green bar? all of you staff guys have like 20 11? What does it mean?

What happened to the reputation thing?
                Last edited by Leaf_It; 04-24-2012, 09:05 PM.
                sigpic•
                "Never put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after" -Mark Twain

Comment

that IS the reputation thing. that's the default reputation thing - ben had actually modified the reputation thingy to show digits instead of bars, before.

you can still see how much reputation value you have by clicking on the settings tab at the top-right.

or, if you click on your own "add reputation" button (it's the asterisk thingy next to the "report post" button), you'll get your own value.
                  sigpic

Comment

I love the purple on black. The only issue I am seeing is that a lot of the buttons are black (and a little difficult to see) and only light up when hovering over them.

Comment

Honestly i'm displeased with this theme, black background with bright white font can strain the user’s eyes and not reccomended for readability.

The design should balance the darkness of black background with the contrast of white text. One cannot focus/read text for a long period of time with this poor color combination, it's stressful.

Moreover if a person wish to take a printout of a particular page in grayscale/black&white mode, the white text does not print.

Who ever selected this theme as default should smack in the back of the head and promise never to use such poor color combination.
                      One person with a belief is equal to a force of ninety-nine who have only interests - Peter Marshall

Comment

...and what Gauth said :o

Comment

Noted that the buttons always seem to be a dark grey, Rex. I'll have to see what if anything can be done for that in the BlitAlt theme.

Obviously most of the discussion has centered on the BlitAlt. As the name suggests, I had originally envisioned it as an Alternate scheme, with BlitWise Forums as the primary (more traditional) one. But the Alt was such a big hit around the office, I reversed course. Clearly it has a diverse, mostly negative effect on the readers so far. How about the BlitWise Forums style? Any thoughts? Readability? Attractiveness? Animal magnetism?
                          Quid custodit ipsos custodes
                          -Juventus

My Administrative motto

Wielder of a +1 Vorpal Sword of Banning.

Comment

blitalt isn't too bad for me (i'm used to dark/black background forums.) i'm not a fan, but it's not bad - it's just not my thing. i like sticking to what i know, and serenity is what i know.

the text COULD be default a slightly...grayer tint. white is a little stressing, i'll agree. overall, not bad at all, though.
                            sigpic

Comment

(Bear in mind these observations are mostly within the BlitAlt scheme.)

First of all, I don't mind the new scheme, but it would be really nice to shape the previous schemes to be compatible with this upgrade so those who prefer to use them can still do so.
                              For the record, user preference isn't necessarily all cosmetics; some designs are simply more functionally intuitive than others, or are more or less painful to look at than others, and more-so for some users than others.

It's impossible to differentiate at a glance between the "read" and "unread" posts icons.

I really feel the previous smilie loadout conveyed emotions more effectively than the new set; being colour-coded also helped. Also with the new set, just about all of my past messages that make use of the rolleyes smilie (which is a metric crapton) come off as... not what was intended.
                              Oh and the old smilies that did carry over from the previous set only work i
                              n the BlitAlt scheme.

The buttons on the bottom-left of every post are barely visible.

I prefer the display of reputation in figures, but having it in graphics is nice too... so I'm on the fence. Is having both an option?

The stats in the upper-right of posts should be slid to the left so Location displays all on one line.

As for the choice of white on black... I know I don't care for staring at blinding whiteness, but the previous schemes pulled it off nicely and were very pleasant to look at, so they clearly did something right.
                              Likewise, there are better ways than others to make light text on dark backgrounds look good. The GoldenEye: Source forums are a great example of this.
                              ...And the more I read in white and black, the more I shift to wanting out. It was refreshing at first but now it's giving my vision scan lines...

EDIT: I'm now using BlitWise forums, which is refreshing over the previous refreshment.
                              Last edited by Samail; 04-24-2012, 11:18 PM.
                              I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
                              > sigpic >
                              ~Get your disputes solved by a real rules lawyer. Ask the red mage.

LOLWUT, YOUR OUT OF SYNC. GG ~Rex Nex

Comment

Working...
                              X